Saturday, August 30, 2008

A Look at College Classes

So I can’t believe that a little over two weeks has passed as I have experienced life at ECU. So far, I am loving it so much! :) So I am sure that one of the most intimidating parts of college for prospective students are the classes. High school teachers scare you into thinking that you are going to college and taking classes that are so difficult that it seems impossible to do well unless you give up your life. I for one, can definitely say I disagree. There are many differences in college classes than those from high school. For one the class sizes are extremly different. I have a Biology class that has 251 students in it. Now for me, this is extremly different because my graduating class was not even this large! Haha! On the other hand, I have a History class with only three individuals. I guess dependant on certain subjects, different classes will have different amounts of people. I have also seen that attendance is not always required in college. This makes it difficult on a student because sometimes it is easy to be tempted to want to skip class, but you have to realize that in doing this, you will only be hurting yourself. I do believe that one of the biggest differences in college is the homework policy. Teachers do not actually always give you homework. Some teachers give you homework to complete for the next class or ask you to read over some materials, but most of your studying is independent. You as the student, must make the decision to read and study materials on your own. Even though I have not gone through a full semester, I can tell that the only way to excel in a class is by doing a lot of independent practice outside of class. I will admit that it is difficult to sit yourself down to actually study. College makes it difficult to concentrate. There is so much to do and so many people to hang out with. It really takes a lot of self- motivation to make yourself work. If you come into college with a positive attitude and set goals for yourself, you will definitly do fine!

Well that’s all for now! I guess I will update you all later! Byes!! :)

No comments: